FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF STUART TO CELEBRATE 90TH ANNIVERSARY

First Presbyterian Church of Stuart will celebrate its milestone 90th anniversary with two days of festivities on Oct. 22 and 23.

On Saturday, Oct. 22, the church invites the community to a picnic in its outdoor pavilion from 4-6pm, featuring shredded pork barbecue, hot dogs, chips, baked beans, coleslaw, and brownies.  Entertainment will include family lawn games and a DJ.

On Sunday, Oct. 23, members of the Church and their guests will share special services at 10am, followed by a ham dinner (monetary donations accepted), along with a slide show presenting the history of the Church, a 90th Anniversary booklet, and a brief program including introductions of long-time members.  The Al Hager Band will also play.

First Presbyterian Church of Stuart was formally organized in 1926 with 43 members, and met at Stuart High School, the Woman’s Club of Stuart, Christian Endeavor Hall, a small cottage which became the Presbyterian Chapel on Osceola Street, and the Lyric Theatre.

In 1941, property bounded by Osceola, Illinois, and Riverside Drive was purchased, and the cornerstone laid in 1948 for a new church structure there.  An educational wing was added in 1954, when enrollment totaled 205.  As the church grew, a five and a half acre site was purchased in North River Shores in 1958 (current location).  Services were held in the first building there, which is now the church’s Fellowship Hall, in May of 1961.  The present sanctuary was opened in 1975, with an annex and educational wings added later.

By 1980, membership had grown to 839, and First Presbyterian Church of Stuart was proud to help found Palm City Presbyterian Church, First Presbyterian of Port St. Lucie, and Peace Presbyterian Church in Port Salerno.

There have been 28 pastors at First Presbyterian Church of Stuart over the years.  Two had led the church for 11 years each.  Interestingly, members who joined the church in 1946 (70 years ago!) and in the 1950s are still in the congregation.

This summer, First Presbyterian Church of Stuart welcomed a new Pastor – the personable and friendly Reverend David Grachek, who has a vital view for the church’s future.  Along with a popular and highly-praised Music Consultant, Dr. Linda Beckman, they provide thought-provoking and stimulating services every Sunday morning at 10am.

First  Presbyterian Church  of  Stuart  is  located at  1715 NW  Pine Lake Drive in Stuart in the  community  of  North  River  Shores;  telephone  number  (772) 692-0500 and on the  web at www.stuartpres.org.   Traditional Worship Services are held on Sundays at 10am, featuring contemporary preaching and inspirational music.

Picture of TreasureCoast

TreasureCoast

Share

Post Info

  • Posted 8 years ago

Read More

The Insider's Guide to Florida's Treasure Coast

Subscribe

Receive the latest tips, information, & news!